This was the first percussion ignition long gun ordered by the U.S. military to replace obsolete flintlock firearms. It became known as the “Mississippi Rifle” during the Mexican-American War when a volunteer regiment from Mississippi under the command of Jefferson Davis, future President of the Confederacy, used the guns at the Battle of Buena Vista to turn the tide of battle in favor of the Americans. Originally a .54-caliber rifle, production was changed to .58 caliber in 1855 so it could shoot minie ball projectiles. Hardwood stock. Right hand only. .58 caliber. Barrel length: 33" with a 1-in-72" rate of twist. Overall length: 48-5/8". Weight: 8.6 lbs.