Author: David Mead
Fly reels are an integral part of every fly-fishing setup. Much like a lead singer won’t perform well without a good guitarist, a fly rod’s potential can’t be realized without a fly reel that works in harmony with it. There are several things to consider when deciding which fly reel is right for you:
• Will it hold the fly line your rod needs?
• Does the drag have enough power to stop your target species? Will it help protect your tippet during fights?
• How much maintenance does it require?
• Does the size of the arbor match your needs?
• Is it made out of materials that will last, especially when fishing silt and saltwater?